- WWF launches Coastal Project on Water and Sanitation at Kakapir and Soomer villages
- Water for future: Rainwater harvesting drive
- Campaign to preserve groundwater
- URBANISATION PROCESS: Study on vulnerability assesment
- Rainwater harvesting a boon to Lalitpur folk
- Community gets its own supply of water
- Traditional Water management and Machhendranath Festival
- UN HABITAT & UNICEF support promotion of arsenic mitigation options in terai districts of Nepal
- UN Habitat supporting EcoSan Toilet Promotional Campaign in Nagarkot
- Call to preserve traditional water management system
- Urbanisation in the spotlight as world marks first World Cities Day
- Bajura yet to rid itself of Chhaupadi tradition
- M-WASH-CC Formation in Sandhikharka Municipality
- Voice from slum
- World Habitat Day to be observed on Monday
- Squatters to be consulted to resolve their problem
- World Habitat Day 2014 Message of the UN-Habitat Executive Director Dr. Joan Clos
- ‘Give Slum Dwellers a Voice’, Secretary-General says in Message for World Habitat Day
- Construction of temporary shelters gaining momentum
- Urban challenges emerging one month after Nepal earthquake.
- Japan and UN-Habitat to provide shelter support in Nepal before and during monsoon
- Nepal: Another 7.3 magnitude earthquake wreaks further havoc
- UN-Habitat ready to support Shelter, WASH and Early Recovery in Nepal
- UN-Habitat Regional Director visit Gamcha
- 'Rebuilding the hearts of people'
- Shelter project team set off for field mission
- Youth Volunteers Revive Over 100 toilets in four days
- Bardiya declared Terai first ODF District
- UN-Habitat promoting safer building solutions
- Relief materials to vulnerable women
- UN-Habitat and IUTC trained urban practitioners in Land Readjustment
- Rebuilding what is holy
- Post-quake urban challenges complex: Padma Sunder Joshi
- Community Information Center formally opened
- Training People on Sustainable and Safer Building Construction
- National level interaction on rebuilding Bungamati
- “Happily shifted in my own Temporary Shelter”
- Illegal settlement sprawl risks up
- Safer Homes
- Rebuilding Nepal
- Beneficiaries’ immediate woes fade away
- GSF programmes empower close to 10 million to end open defecation
Nepali Student honoured with Children’s Future AwardPosted 4 March, 04:20 pm
The winner of the 10th International Children’s Future Award Miss Cheten Doka Sherpa was honoured amid an ‘Award Distribution and Felicitation Ceremony’ organized by UN Habitat on 4 March, 2011 in Lalitpur. Ms. Sherpa is a sixth grader student studying at Daffodil Public School of Nepal.
She had been felicitated for her success at 10th World Habitat Day Children’s Drawing Contest organized by UN Habitat Regional Office for Asia and Pacific – Fukuoka, Japan to mark the World Habitat Day 2010. The competition had been held on the theme “Better City, Better Life”.
At the felicitation ceremony, Ms. Gillian Mellsop, representative at UNICEF Nepal handed over the award and certificate to Ms. Sherpa, and said that this kind of art competition had provided space to the children to express their opinion about urban environment.
Habitat Programme Manager at UN Habitat Nepal Mr. Padma Sundar Joshi believed that the contest had got success to present the pictures of the cities in the way children understand and expect.
At the contest, eight hundred eighty five students from 10 different countries in Asia and the Pacific Region including Far East Russia participated, and 12 students among them were awarded in six categories.
Ms. Sherpa won the Children’s Future Award on behalf of Nepal by submitting her drawing of an environmentally sound city. She had tried to present the impact of global warming on the mountain environment in her art.
UN Habitat had published all 12 award winning drawings in its 2011 calendar, which had been provided to all participating students and schools.
World Habitat Day is celebrated on first Monday of October every year. UN Habitat Regional Office for Asia and Pacific – Fukuoka, Japan organizes the World Habitat Day Children’s Drawing Contest every year on this occasion.